10 tips for safer car travel
1. Safe car – before you leave, check your tyre pressure, water, oil, brakes, windscreen wipers and the condition of the spare tyre. Refer to your car manual for safety checks.
2. Plan ahead – even if you have driven the route a hundred times, stop for a few minutes every hour to refresh your body and brain.
3. Seat belts can save the lives of the driver and the passengers sitting in front and at the back. Buckle up!
4. Keep your distance – keep at least two cars lengths between you and the car in front of you.
5. Don’t use the cellphone – the fine for using a cellphone while driving is $500 or death, whichever comes first.
6. Know your blind spots – be aware about traffic that might be in the blind spot. Look out for motorcycles and allow them to pass safely.
7. Speed kills! Better late than never.
8. One car statistic – statistics show that one-car collisions kill more people than accidents that involve other vehicles. Stop in a safe place when you get tired; concentrate all the time; if you have passengers, don’t be distracted by arguments or things that irritate you.
9. Don’t drink and drive! Arrive alive – you’ll look better that way.
10. Don’t be a jerk! Kill your road rage before it kills you. Have a healthy attitude and you’ll have a happy holiday.